Having braces doesn’t necessarily require highly noticeable metal brackets and wires. In fact, many of today’s braces are made from either clear or natural tooth-colored materials to provide patients with an attractive, less noticeable alternative to traditional braces.
What is the difference between clear braces and clear aligners?
Clear braces are the same as traditional metal braces, except that they are clear! Clear braces are a less noticeable alternative to traditional metal braces but provide patients with an equally effective treatment.
Clear aligners are different from clear braces. Clear aligners are pieces of hard plastic that are designed to fit into your mouth like a mouthguard. Clear aligners are great for patients who require minor orthodontic treatment.
What are the advantages and disadvantages to clear braces?
As with any orthodontic treatment, it is vital to choose the right option for your needs and lifestyle. Clear braces are a great alternative to traditional metal braces. Dr. Heather will help you determine whether they are the right treatment for you.
Advantages to clear braces
- Appearance: Ceramic/ clear braces are much less noticeable than traditional metal braces. Clear/ ceramic braces offer an aesthetic alternative for patients seeking options other than traditional metal braces.
- Confidence: Many patients who choose ceramic or clear braces feel more confident about their orthodontic treatment, especially knowing that people are focusing on their smiles rather than their braces.
Disadvantages to clear braces:
- Cost: There is very little difference in the fee for metal vs. ceramic/ clear braces. Buccieri Orthodontics offers convenient payment plans to help control the costs of your treatment and lets you pick what best suits your aesthetic desire. Be sure to talk to Dr. Heather about all of your financial and treatment options.
- Discoloration: The clear elastic ties used with clear and ceramic braces may become slightly discolored when you drink tea, coffee, or red wine, eat certain foods, or smoke. Ask us about how you can keep your braces looking their best.
- Treatment Time: Orthodontic treatment with clear/ ceramic braces takes the same amount of time when compared to traditional, small metal braces. Talk to Dr. Heather to find out how long your treatment time will be and what appliance style that works best for you.
Are clear or ceramic braces the right choice for my or my son or daughter’s smile?
By talking to us, you can decide if clear/ ceramic braces are the right treatment. Dr. Heather can provide answers to your questions and extra information to explain the benefits of each treatment option and modality.
If you would like to learn more about clear/ ceramic braces, and all the options available to you, please contact our practice and schedule an appointment today.